Based on the International Fire Code adopted by ordinance, a burn permit from the Fire Department is required for silvicultural, range (prairie grass) or wildlife management practices; prevention of control of disease or pests or a bonfire for ceremonial purposes (homecoming, religious, etc.). Open burning permits for silvicultural, range or wildlife management practices normally require an open burning permit from the Illinois EPA prior to MFD issuing a burning permit. Plan on applying for these permits at least several months in advance.